Re: How to generate a large file allocating space

Ted,

--On 4 November 2010 12:16:13 -0400 Ted Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, I would personally not be against an extension to fallocate()
where if the caller of the syscall specifies a new flag, that might be
named FALLOC_FL_EXPOSE_OLD_DATA, and if the caller either has root
privs or (if capabilities are enabled) CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE &&
CAP_MAC_OVERRIDE, it would be able to allocate blocks whose extents
would be marked as initialized without actually initializing the
blocks first.

That sounds a lot like "send patches" which I just might do, if only
to gain better understanding as to what is going on.

I seem to remember (from lwn's summary of lkml) that the proposed
options for fallocate() got a bit baroque to start with, and people
then simplified down to zero options. Perhaps that was a simplification
too far.

In the mean time, particularly as I'd ideally like to avoid a kernel
modification, is there a safe way I could use or modify the ext2
library to run through the extents of a fallocated() file and clear
the "unwritten" bit? If I clear that (which from memory is the top
bit of the extent length), is that alone safe? (on an unmounted
file system, obviously).

You do realize, though, that it sounds like with your design you are
replicating the servers, but not the disk devices --- so if your disk
device explodes, you're Sadly Out of Luck.  Sure you can use
super-expensive storage arrays, but if you're writing your own cluster
file system, why not create a design which uses commodity disks and
worry about replicating data across servers at the cluster file system
level?

The particular use case here is for customers that have sunk huge
amounts of money into expensive storage arrays, or for whatever
reason have an aversion to storing anything on anything other than
expensive storage arrays.

I would tend to agree that replicating across commodity disks is
in almost all cases a better technological solution, but the
technology is still further away from readiness there. Sadly
technological arguments don't always win the day, and we need
something in the mean time...

--
Alex Bligh