Re: 2**31-1 blocks question

On 5/11/10 7:26 PM, Bodo Thiesen wrote:
* Eric Sandeen<sandeen@xxxxxxxxxx>  hat geschrieben:

>  Mag Gam wrote:
>>  We need to create very large filesystems. We prefer to have a
>>  filesystem which is 12TB but it seems ext3 does not suppor that.
>  Most recent ext3 kernelspace and userspace should technically
>  make it to 16T.
[...]

>  The downside is you probably can't mount it, because it's
>  block size>  page size on most architectures (like x86 and x86_64)
Contradiction? Anyone?

Eric's comment about not being able to mount referenced altering the FS block size to 8k from 4k. Intel Xeon only supports 4k pages.

He is correct that newer e2fsprogs will allow creation of ext3 filesystems up to 16T _without_ altering block size, as I frequently make 10T+ filesystems on RHEL 5.3 and 5.4.

--russellg