Re: fstab Pass Column and forced disk checks

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I agree with Andreas about not disabling the checks in general, but in this case I don't have the final word.  I will look into the lvm script, is that limited to ext4 or does it work with ext3 as well?

I cross posted this question at http://serverfault.com/questions/120804/pass-column-of-fstab/120815#120815 and someone noticed that there is one exception (not a fstab exception though) on some distributions (RHEL5).  That is if /forcefsck file system exists the check will still happen because of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

if [ -f /forcefsck ] || strstr "$cmdline" forcefsck ; then
        fsckoptions="-f $fsckoptions"

Thanks!
Kyle

On 3/9/10, Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2010-03-09, at 10:10, Kyle Brandt wrote:
If I have the 6th column in fstab (the pass column) set to 0, does that mean disk checks will never be forced at boot regardless of anything like File System State, Mount Count, and Check Interval on the file system itself, or are there exceptions to this?

No, there are many filesystems which don't have/allow checking so the top-level fsck tool needs to honor this.  I would never recommend disabling e2fsck on a system, unless you are running in an HA environment where it is not safe to do automated checks at startup time.  I also do not recommend that people disable the periodic e2fsck checks, because people forget to check their filesystems, and the kernel can sometimes spread corruption further if it reads garbage from the disk.

If you dislike the periodic (time/mount count) checks that e2fsck forces at boot, I would suggest using the "lvcheck" script I posted to linux-ext4 some months ago (assuming you are using LVM, which most people are these days), and will attach here again. That allows you to periodically check the filesystem in the background to detect corruptions on disk, without any concern that the next reboot will take a long time.

It would be great to get these included as part of the lvm2 package, and have lvcheck installed in /etc/cron.weekly to automatically check all the LVs configured on the system, and solve the "we don't like periodic checks at boot" problem in a way that is still robust to the errors that will undoubtably appear on disk at one point or another.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group