Re: botched RAID, now e2fsck or what?

Hi,

Thanks both for replies. Things are moving now, since I started using
e2fsck -n -f -v /dev/md0

However, no combination seems useful. Sometimes I get:
"e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/md0"
Other times I get:
"Superblock has an invalid journal (inode 8)."
Other times I get:
"e2fsck: Illegal inode number while checking ext3 journal for /dev/md2."
None of these appears in only one permutation, so none is indicative
for the corectness of the permutation.

I also ran dumpe2fs /dev/md2, but I don't know how to make it more
useful than it is now. Right now it finds supernodes in a series of
permutations, so again, it is not of much help.
Question 1: Is there a way to make dumpe2fs or another command
estimate the number of files in what appears to be an ext3 partition?
(I would then go by the permutation which fonds the largest number of
files.)
Question: if I were to struck lucky and find the right combination,
would dumpe2fs give me a very-very long list of superblocks? Do the
superblocks extend far into the partition, or do they always stop
early (thus showing the same number each time my RAID starts with the
right drive)?

Question 3: Is there any other tool that would search for files in the
remains of an ext3 partition, and, this way, validate or invalidate
the permutations I try?

Thanks,
Lucian Sandor