Sparse File Creation

I need to create an 8 GB sized sparse file which will do an actual block allocation. In other words, I want to allocate the blocks in the directory structure, but not fill them with zeroes until they are actually used. Since this will be implemented in a closed appliance I'm not concerned about security and can execute any command as root.

I have tried the dd seek command. And while it creates a sparse file, it doesn't reserve the blocks.

Thank you for your help.

Steve