Re: Questions regarding journal replay

Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> * Curtis Doty <Curtis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Were there any other background iops on the underlying volume
>>> devices? Like maybe raid reconstruction?
>> I don't think so. The machine never powered off...
>
> Again, 2.6.28.7 failed us and now we're encountering another journal
> replay. Taking ages. This sucks.
>
> Questions:
>
> How can I find out (during normal operation) HOW MUCH of the
> journal is actually in use?
>
> How can I resize the journal to be smaller, thus making a journal
> replay faster?

It'd be better to get to the bottom of the problem ... maybe iostat
while it's happening to see if IO is actually happening; run blktrace to
see where IO is going, do a few sysrq-t's to see where threads are at, etc.

Can you find a way to reproduce this at will?

Journal replay should *never* take this long, AFAIK.

-Eric