Re: bit per bit copy! ext3

I think, however, that you should actually copy /dev/sda1, to /dev/sdba1 not /dev/sda. to /dev/sdb
If you copy /dev/sda1, you will also copy the partition table.  If your flash drives are different sizes you might end up with problems.

another solution would be, especially if you are making an intermediate copy on your hard drive, to use partimage.  Partimage will only copy the sectors on the partition that are actually in use.. thus saving both disk space and time for the copy process.