Recommended number of files stored under a single folder

Hi,

I have a web site for storing images and serve to public. In my site, I
need to set a rule for controlling the max. number of files that would
be allowed for client to upload,
asI know that performance of FS degrade when number of files increase,
can anyone
suggest a number so I can stop client from uploading too many files?
E.g. 10K would
be okay?

Thanks.