Re: 2GB memory limit running fsck on a +6TB device

Theodore Tso escribió:
It's always a good idea when running e2fsck (aka fsck.ext3) directly
and/or on a terminal/console to include as command-line options "-C
0".  This will display a progress bar, so you can gauge how it is
doing.  (0 through 70% is pass 1, which requires scanning the inode
table and following all of the indirect blocks.)

Thanks for the tip! :-)

'/var/cache/e2fsck' is in the _same_ disk, perhaps mounting via iSCSI, NFS, etc.. this directory will improve, we will work with this in other test.

I have enabled progress bar sending SIGUSR1 signal to the process, and it's still on 2% ;-(

"scratch_files" directory size is now 251M, it has grown 81MB in the last 7 hours:

# ls -lh /var/cache/e2fsck/
total 251M
-rw------- 1 root root 112M 2008-06-11 00:09 7701b70e-f776-417b-bf31-3693dba56f86-dirinfo-VkmFXP -rw------- 1 root root 139M 2008-06-11 00:09 7701b70e-f776-417b-bf31-3693dba56f86-icount-YO08bu

strace's output is the same, and also memory usage is the same.

I will let the process more time.. but I think it will take too much time to complete, at least to finish the pass 1, perhaps more than 50 hours? According that now is only on 2% of the process + take 12 hours to complete, and pass 1 is from 0% through 70%.. is there any other solution to solve this?

ext4 will solve this problem? I have not tested ext4 already, but I have read that it will improve fast filesytem checking...

Regards,

--
Santi Saez