commit interval

Hi,

I have an ext3 partition on a compact flash device. I was thinking of reducing the commit interval to say 30 sec, but I'm not sure it's really necessary.

What I'd like to know is if ext3 will *actually* do any writes to the journal if none of the data has changed, and given that it's mounted noatime. eg, if only one file is modified every hour, will the journal still write every 5 seconds?

I am using ordered mode btw.

Many thanks,
Thomas