RE: Compact Flash, EXT3, and IDE - a bad idea?

Good points. Thanks for the advice. I'll give badblocks a try (currently it's not a part of my build so I'll run it from a different machine with a card reader).

In terms of power loss and corrupt sectors, both of the systems that I'm having issues with do experience occasional and sudden power interruptions.

Results from running dd showed multiple inode errors. Then the system crashed. On the subsequent boot, e2fsck attempted to repair the card and couldn't. It could only be mounted as EXT2 after that! Attempting to run tunefs gives:

sbin/tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

Also, the partition info is here:
major minor  #blocks  name

   3     0    8064000 hda
   3     1    8063968 hda1