Re: Status of fragment support, advantages of having fewer indoes

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Michael Renner wrote:

My second question is regarding the bytes-per-inode ratio: What benefits would I gain from having fewer inodes? I reckon it's only diskspace (if so, how much?).

Whenever you have to fsck, it needs to scan all inodes. So you can reduce fsck times by having fewer inodes. This isn't usually a problem on small partitions, but when you get into the TB range it can be really annoying to wait hours for a fsck.

Damian Menscher
--
-=#| <menscher@xxxxxxxx> www.uiuc.edu/~menscher/ Ofc:(650)253-2757 |#=-
-=#| The above opinions are not necessarily those of my employers. |#=-