Re: EXT3-fs error

fdisk /dev/cciss/c0d0 (the disk containing /) reported that the device
is not valid.

if the device is "not valid", this has to be fixed. concrete error
messages would help here though.

The console was full of this message repeating:
"EXT3-fs error (device /dev/cciss/c0d0) in start_transaction: Journal
has aborted"

if it really is a hardware error (bad disk/controller/cable/driver), then
ext3 can't do anything about it (except perhaps mounting the device ro)

Is it a hardware problem?

The BIOS reported an error: "POST Error: 1727-Drive Array - New Logical
Drive(s) Attachment Detected"
[...]
A technition from HP said that everything looks OK hardware-wise.

hm, this POST error looks "OK"?

I don't think so.
But if I need to replace anything, then what do I need to replace?
Is it the controller that once in a while decides a disk to be not present?

Obviously, HP support are not more useful than looking at a green LED and telling me their machine is superb.

Can anyone help me understand what is going on here?

please send useful error messages.

Trouble is I have none.
Nothing appears in /var/log/messages. Probably because the FS went RO.
And once the system enters this state I can't login to it so I don't have any more information available.

Probably I am not aware of all the ways to retrieve information from such stuck systems. I'd appreciate help in this.

For e.g., how can I redirect syslog to print to another partition? (hoping that partition to stay RW)?

Thanks,
Hayim.