Ext3 bad magic after upgrage FC1 to FC4

Dear All,

I have server with a 160G disk with one partition /dev/hde1. The PC had FC1 and everything was working fine. I decided to do an upgrade to FC4. Now I can no longer mount that partition. I don't think anything happened to the file system, but changes in kernel and modules due to the upgrade is now making it inaccessible.

I tried:

mk2fs -n /dev/hde1
 got a list of superblocks and tried all with no luck

e2fsck -b xxxxxx /dev/hde1
 bad magic or superblock

I am sick over this and would appreciate any advice and guidance. Thank you.