Re: mount r/w and r/o

[one r-w mount, multiple r-o mounts shared thru FC switch]

should I use it?
Am I going about this all wrong, is there a better way to do this (other than GFS)?
I once heard about someone doing something like that for a video farm, intermixing solaris and freebsd servers (so as far as he, and I, knew, there was no easy sharing solution). He did the following :
- create the filesystem on the solaris bow
- create many 1 GB files, with a specific byte pattern (512 bytes sectors iirc) - the freebsd box would read the raw device, detect the byte patterns and build an internal lookup table, to know that file F, offset O was located on physical sector S - the solaris box would then write data to the 1 GB files, and the freebsd box could then read back the data, thanks to the previously built lookup table (the 1 GB files would only be rewritten to, never truncated or rewritten, AFAIK)

IIRC, there was 2 solaris boxen using some HA solution, and many freebsd boxen accessing the data. This worked because the files were smaller than 1 GB (to be honnest, I don't know the exact size he used), and the very impressive performance of the solution balanced the hassle involved in setting up the whole thing.

Now, I would not ask "why not NFS?", but "why not GFS?" (and please apologize if it the answer is obvious...)