Re: a comparison of ext3, jfs, and xfs on hardware raid

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:56:15AM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
<snip>
> I intend to run many more benchmarks using various ext3 mount options.
> I'll make sure to modulate the journal size as well.  However, it is my
> impression that mballoc/delalloc/extents will be of use mainly to
> workloads like tarring and untarring a large archive.  For linear reads
> of one giant file, will these mount options make any difference?

The difference they will make will be in terms of file layout, because
they will give you better layout during creation which will give you
higher sustained throughput during your linear reads.

Check out the ext2-devel mailing list back in Feb-March of this year
for some benchmark info about the difference these options make on
sequential read/write tests.

Sonny