Re: fs block level syncing

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 17:31, Paul Raines wrote:
> I take it with incremental dumps being recovered, files deleted on
> the original are not deleted by the restore process on the target?

They are.

> I.E. there is no equivalent to rsync's --delete option?

Restore keeps a running tally of each inode it has taken care of after
each pass of an incremental restore.  If it sees inodes from a previous
pass which are removed from the record in a new pass, it deletes them.
If it sees inodes from a previous pass which have a new name or names in
the new pass, it renames or hard-links them as required.  And it is
guaranteed to see all such cases because any deletes/renames change the
mtime on the directory or directories that contain the inode, and all
such modified directories get included in the incremental dumps.

> I have discovered for tar, its -g increment option does keep track
> of deletions.

Last time I looked, -g was buggy.  It tracked changed directories, but
didn't correctly deal with directory renames --- any subdirs under the
renamed directory would not be marked as dirty and would not be backed
up, resulting in lost data after a restore.  It has been a number of
years since I tried using it, though.

--Stephen