Re: ext3 Overhead

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:34:25 -0500
Matthew Berg <galt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Matthew,

> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 09:55, christian.braun@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm using a CompactFlash as storage device. Since those CF cards only
> > have limited write cycles (CF does wear-levelling by itself, but you
> > don't want to write too many timet so the card) i was wondering by
> > what a factor the journaling of ext3 increases the write accesses to
> > the CompactFlash compared to ext2. Thanks a lot already for your help!
>
> Is there any reason you're looking at ext2/3 rather than using jffs2,
> which is specifically designed for flash?
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/jffs2/

A common mistake.
jffs2 is only useful with raw flashchips (so it can do wear-levelling).
On a CF (in IDE mode) you don't have any control over what physical
flash blocks are used for what logical disk sectors (that's what the CF
takes care of itself).  jffs2 on CF does not make any sense.

	greetings,
	Rob van Nieuwkerk