Re: htree stabilitity and performance issues

On Dec 19, 2003  16:32 +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 19:17, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > Reiserfs has a similair issue, and they recommend copying the directory, and
> > that should re-order the inodes so that when you read them in readdir()
> > order they will be in that order on disk.  Will that work with ext3+htree?
>
> Unfortunately, not.  Ext3's htree hash order has nothing to do with the
> order in which files are added to the directory.

Doesn't readdir order == hash order with Ted's NFS fixes for htree?  In
that case, if you copied the files in readdir order to a new directory
the inodes would also be in hash order on disk, until you add a new file.
It might be worthwhile for a large directory that changes very little,
but probably a waste of time otherwise.

That said, I'd rather fix this by doing the piecewise inode table hash-order
allocation that was proposed previously so you get decent performance
all the time.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger