Re: ext3 htree upgrade

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 01:50:38PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Once you use a htree patched kernel, and set the dir_index flag, any
> directory that grows larger than one block will be indexed.

Just to make this clear, any unindexed directory which is only one
block long and which then is extended to be greater than one block
will be indexed.  However, an unindexed directory which is already
larger than one block will always remain unindexed by the kernel ---
it requires userspace assistance to sort all of the directory entries
and index the directory in this case.

> > or should I do an e2fsck -Dfy on the filesystem before
> > remounting?
>
> Any other directories larger than one block will need to be indexed by fsck
> with the above option.

In general e2fsck -Df is all that's necessary.  The -y option isn't
really needed unless there is some filesystem corruption that you wish
to forcibly fix without asking your permission first.

						- Ted