Re: commands

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 02:23:30PM +0530, Salil Taneja, Noida wrote:

> I have made ext3 from ext2 by using mkfs -j option.
> I want to know if all commands of ext2 like dumpe2fs ( provided in e2fs-1.36
> ) works fine with ext3 ?
> Do we have some commands that are unique for ext3 file system ?

Yes, all of the programs in the e2fsprogs are designed to be used with
ext2 as well as ext3.  Really ext2 and ext3 are the same filesystem as
far as the filesystem format is concerned, just that ext3 has the
additional journaling feature, and its implementation is quite a bit
more complicated as a result.  The difference in name is more about
the separate code base than it is about incompatible changes in the
filesystem format (there really are none), so the userspace utilities
in e2fsprogs work fine for both ext3 and ext2.

						- Ted