Re: EXT3-fs error on 2.6.0-test7-bk4 (and -test9)

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:51:52PM +0000, Ben Mansell wrote:
> > ext3 is having big problems on my x86-64 system. An ext3 partition has
> > just gone crazy, with the following messages in dmesg:
> >
> > EXT3-fs error (device hda3): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #4603905: rec_len % 4 != 0 - offset=0, inode=2507704792, rec_len=42,
> > name_len=0
> > Aborting journal on device hda3.
> > ext3_abort called.
> > EXT3-fs abort (device hda3): ext3_journal_start: Detected aborted
> > journal
> > Remounting filesystem read-only
> > EXT3-fs error (device hda3) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
> > EXT3-fs error (device hda3) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
> > [...]
> >
> > I hit a similar problem yesterday, but lost some details so I couldn't
> > make a proper bug report. However, it did mean that the partition got
> > fully fscked, so I think these errors are ext3 getting confused all by
> > itself, rather than it complaining about an already-corrupt filesystem.
> > There's no sign of any hardware problems with the disk or controller in
> > the logs.
>
> The "bad entry in directory" is very clearly a corrupted filesystem
> error.  Sometimes though fsck might not see the problem if the block
> was corrupted when it was read from the disk (so that the in-memory
> copy is corrupt, but the copy on-disk is still valid).  This is one of
> the reasons why as soon as filesystem corruption is detected, the
> first thing ext3 will do is to (figuratively) slam down the bulkheads
> to contain damage, and remount the filesystem read-only.
>
> Can you try running e2fsck on it, and send us a transcript of the logs
> of e2fsck's output?

Sorry, shortly after sending my original message, the machine locked up
solid (just after me typing 'sync'). I had rebooted and fscked before
reading your response.

I'll wait and see if the problem recurs. The computer runs memtest OK so
there shouldn't be any memory corruption causing things to go bad. (I
guess there still are many other possible corruption causes, like bad
IDE cabling, etc)

Ben

--
Ben Mansell, <ben@xxxxxxxx>                       Zeus Technology Ltd
Download the world's fastest webserver!   Universally Serving the Net