Re: ext3 + raid, is resize2fs neccessary?

On Oct 17, 2003  16:26 -0400, Eric Wood wrote:
> Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > You don't need to convert from ext3 to ext2 to resize, as long as you
> > have recovered the journal before you resize.  I think resize2fs
> > forces  an fsck on the filesystem before resizing.
>
> Does merely running e2fsck recover the journal? You lost me here.  How/why
> do I "recover" a journal.  I didn't think I was going to loose it.

Sorry, maybe "replay" the journal is better, done by running e2fsck <dev>
or just cleanly unmounting the filesystem (it only is an issue if you are
trying to resize a filesystem immediately after a crash).  Since resize2fs
forces you to do a full fsck on the filesystem this is not an issue.

In any case, you want to empty any data from the journal because it holds
blocks of data indexed by block numbers, and those block numbers will be
irrelevant when the filesystem is resized and things are moved around.
I don't think either resize2fs or ext2resize will allow you to resize
with a journal that needs replaying, so you are safe.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger