Re: ext3 with quota under heavy load.

Sorry for the several month delay, but the server had stopped
"crashing" for this period of time so I hadn't fully reported back.  I
have changed the backup script and can now almost initiate the "crash"
at will.  I'm including the prior conversation for completeness.

/home is a 325Gb partition on a hardware raid controller.  The system
is now running a vanilla 2.4.22 (vfs0 quotas are included now, no -ac
needed).

This is what the backup command was changed to:

/bin/nice -n 19 /usr/bin/find /home/ -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1
-exec /usr/bin/rsync -aH {} backup@backupserver::backup/home \;

This command locks almost daily.  The system is still repsponsive,
however no data maybe written to /home/ during this time. 'touch
/home/tmp' just sits there...

I hadn't been able to get to the system in the past, but now that I can
reproduce the crash almost at will, I'll be more able to test the
situation.

Thanks for your prior and current help, looking forward to hearing for
suggestions on how I can track down what's locking and find a solution.

Thanks,

Dale

http://shopping.yahoo.com