Re: Journaled ext3 file system crashed

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 11:54:10PM -0700, Dana Bourgeois wrote:
> I fsck'd it and it seems to be in pretty good shape.  This is 2.4.18 - RH9.
> This machine can't handle file system problems.  It has to stay RH9 but I
> could back out the journalling.
>
> The machine is only 3 months old.  I don't think it's a hardware issue.  No
> error messages and the symptom (aside from being unusable) was I/O error
> seeking <different blocks>.

Absolutely no messages in your log files?  There really should have
been some, unless the filesystem that went read-only when the
filesystem error occured was where your logs are being kept?

Two things I can think of trying:  First of all, make sure you have the
lasted errata kernel from Red Hat installed.  Secondly, consider doing
network-based syslogging (i.e., configure syslog.conf to send its logs
over the network to a logging server).  I generally consider that to
be a really good idea for production servers.

						- Ted