Re: ext3 dead after testing 2.6.0-test5

On Mit, 10 Sep 2003, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > Ok, this didn't work at all. I could fix the biggest problems by:
> > * starting debugfs in write mode
> > * clearing inode 8 (which I found out later is the journal inode)
> > * fsck-ing and letting everything be fixed
> > * reboot, getting ext2 instead of ext3 (deleted journal, mounting as ext2)
> > * fsck again, fixing may duplicate blocks etc, (uuaaa)
> > * now it is working (at least what I see, surprises will soon hit me)
>
> It sounds like garbage got written into the the inode table.  Without
> a detailed listing of the fsck messages, it's really hard to tell
> more, though.

I think the most important point is that I had to clear the entire inode
8 to get as far as fsck would *not* go into an endless (at least very
long) loop restarting itself. Thus, the journal was destroyed, on next
mount the fs was mounted as ext2, then I could do fsck which gave really
loads of error message I know (duplicate blocks, etc, all I have ever
seen ;-), but at the end it suceeded.

> Note that when reporting problems like this, it's important to specify
> your hardware (which SCSI/IDE controller, motherboard, etc.) since

Ok (although I had *no* errors for a very long long time):

Acer TravelMate 654LCi,
	CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX:
(from 2.4 boot msg:)
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
ICH3M: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:1f.1
PCI: Enabling device 00:1f.1 (0005 -> 0007)
ICH3M: chipset revision 2
ICH3M: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1860-0x1867, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1868-0x186f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: TOSHIBA MK4021GAS, ATA DISK drive

Motherboard: Well, its a notebook, don't ask me ;-)
parts from lspci -vv
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82845 845 (Brookdale) Chipset Host Bridge (rev 04)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801CAM IDE U100 (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])

> although the filesystem code noticed the problem, it's at least as
> likely that the problem was caused a buggy device driver that scribbed
> to the disk in the wrong place.

Hmm. Then when are these error messages about
	journal aborted
or something similar from, when I booted 2.6.0-test5, while with test4
it was working.

And no, I am not sure if I want to try test5 again, that was a very
close encounter to a full install!

If you need more/more detailed specs of the hardware, I can provide it.

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at>         Technische Universität Wien
ABERBEEG (vb.)
Of amateur actors, to adopt a Mexican accent when called upon to play
any variety of foreigner (except Pakistanis - from whom a Welsh accent
is considered sufficient).
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff