RE: another seriously corrupt ext3 -- pesky journal

I haven't read the code so I admit this is supposition.

It sounds like the fix here is to try journal pointers and use the first
pointer that doesn't result in an error.  This means that if the first
pointer is broken, you will check backup pointers until you find one
that works and then use that.  At this point you haven't checked that
this is the *right* journal but at least you're not blindly just using a
pointer.

Thinking of Sun's Disksuite metadata databases, I'm wondering if it
would make sense (only at startup) to test all the pointers, toss the
ones that are invalid and then use the majority value.

And is anyone working on a journal repair or editing utility?

Dana Bourgeois