Re: accidental mke2fs

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 01:04:36PM -0400, Paul Raines wrote:

> I know there is no straightforward way to recover deleted files on
> an ext3 file system, but is there any way to recover from an
> accidental mke2fs?

Not really, no.  The inode table gets complete wiped, so unless you
ran e2image beforehand, there really isn't a way, short of searching
each data block looking for specific files of interest.

I've considered trying to make mke2fs run e2image beforehand, but the
hard part is (a) figuring out where to put e2image file afterwards,
and (b) it would slow down mke2fs significantly.

However, as more civilians start using Linux, this sort of thing will
probably become painfully more common, so maybe we will need to add
more idiot-proofing to mke2fs...

							- Ted