Re: Seriously corrupt ext3 root filesystem - help?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:45:09 -0700, "Andreas Dilger"
<adilger@clusterfs.com> said:
> > I booted off CD and attempted to fsck. Unfortunately, everything I've
> > tried has proved futile and I'm _desperate_ for some help. I've google'd
> > for just about everything I can think of and am out of ideas. :-(
> >
> > # debugfs -w /dev/hda1
> > debugfs 1.28 (31-Aug-2002)
> > /dev/hda1: Can't read an inode bitmap while reading inode bitmap
> > debugfs: open -c /dev/hda1
> > /dev/hda1: catastrophic mode - not reading inode or group bitmaps
> > debugfs: stat <8>
> > stat: Invalid argument while reading inode 8
> > debugfs: stats
> > Filesystem features:    has_journal filetype sparse_super
> > Filesystem state:       clean with errors
> > Directories:            1122431
> >  Group  0: block bitmap at 33188, inode bitmap at 19132, inode table at
> >  1027802808
> >            6794 free blocks, 15870 free inodes, 1720 used directories
> >  Group  1: block bitmap at 0, inode bitmap at 0, inode table at 3016944
> >            2289 free blocks, 46 free inodes, 2290 used directories
>
> Try gpart to see if it is your partition table that is corrupt.

Thanks for the suggestion. The partition table seems to be intact and
correct.

Any other ideas on how to try and recover the data on this filesystem?
(The other filesystems on the drive are fine. Unfortunately they don't
contain the bulk of the data that I need.)

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different?