Re: htree and nfs benchmarks

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 08:21:46PM -0600, kwijibo@zianet.com wrote:

> It looks like htree improves performance when the storage device is
> local (as per my previous post) but it looks like htree degrades
> performance when used in conjunction with NFS.  I am going to try it
> with gigabit ethernet when I get the time to see if maybe I am
> possibly hitting some sort of weird network bottleneck.

That's certainly a surprising result.

Any chance you could get an ethereal capture of the traffic between
the NFS client and server, both with and without htree?  It might shed
some light on what's going on, and perhaps suggest some way we can
either fix the NFS server, or the interaction between the NFS server
and the ext3 filesystem.

						- Ted