Re: boot: ext3 fs not supported by kernel

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 08:51:51AM +0800, Peter Davies wrote:
> > It might be just simplier:
> > Do you have DMA turned on for your hard disks? Check with
> > 'hdparm -v /dev/hda' and look for 'using_dma'.
>
> I have also switched using_dma on (hdparm -d1 /dev/hda).
>
> It is running better, but still not smoothly (lags at the console
> and mouse movments on the desktop have decreased to <1 - 2 seconds).

Hmm... have you checked to make sure you have the appropriate
chipset-specific IDE DMA support enabled?  This can make a difference.

I generally set CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO to make sure that the DMA
settings are automatically set to the correct values.  (I'm not an
expert on hdparm to set DMA/Ultra-DMA settings, but I'm not convinced
-d1 is sufficiently to completely set up the DMA settings correctly.)
So I prefer to let the kernel set everythign up for my correctly.

						- Ted