Re: fsck fails (then succeeds)

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:30:47 -0400
"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

<snip>

> If your description of the events were accurate, the only
> thing that can explain it is hardware error, or user error
> (i.e. you accidentally specified the wrong device
> somewhere along the line).
>
> Without more detalis about specifically what error
> messages were displayed by fsck, it's really hard to say
> much more, unfortunately.

Thank-you for responding Ted,

I can see how I could have made an error when running the
SuSE rescue-disk fsck - but I can't imagine how I could have
done anything that would sabotage the fsck forced by
"shutdown -r -F" - and that was the one which really
scared me. I did my best to report the error messages fsck
displayed, and I think I have summarised them accurately -
they were the only ones I saw.  I understand, however, that
it is very difficult for you to diagnose an error which I
cannot now reproduce.

I ran a "shutdown -r -F" again this afternoon and it
completed without problems.

In case it is a hardware thing, I have made sure that the
removable clone of my hdd that I keep (usually in my safe),
is up-to-date and working.

Thanks again,

Geoff