(no subject)

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone here may be able to help me ;).

I have a filesystem that gets checked everytime my machine boots, (as this is a desktop system this is quite often, and unfortunately takes a while). I decided to attempt to fix it, and booted both a knoppix (3.1) CD and a Gentoo 1.4 CD to attempt to run fsck on the partition when I noticed that running fsck returns the following

# fsck.ext3 /dev/hdb3
e2fsck 1.30-WIP (30-Sep-2002)
Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while checking ext3 journal for /dev/hdb3

google seems to think that the closest matching problem to what I am having is the link below (thus my reason for being here):
https://listman.redhat.com:443/archives/ext3-users/2002-December/msg00050.html

I have attempted the debugfs solution as presented here, but when I try to open the partition in anything other than catastrophic mode (thus the inability to write and attempt setting the journal to 0) cannot be tried, the error is as follows:

root@0[root]# debugfs -w /dev/hdb3
debugfs 1.30-WIP (30-Sep-2002)
/dev/hdb3: Can't read an inode bitmap while reading inode bitmap
debugfs:

I have also attached the output of tune2fs:
root@0[root]# tune2fs -l /dev/hdb3
tune2fs 1.30-WIP (30-Sep-2002)
Filesystem volume name: <none>
Last mounted on: <not available>
Filesystem UUID: e465598d-e803-451c-866c-6dddca668594
Filesystem magic number: 0xEF53
Filesystem revision #: 1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features: has_journal filetype sparse_super large_file
Filesystem state: not clean with errors
Errors behavior: Continue
Filesystem OS type: Linux
Inode count: 1733312
Block count: 3466023
Reserved block count: 173301
Free blocks: 2140306
Free inodes: 1499594
First block: 0
Block size: 4096
Fragment size: 4096
Blocks per group: 32768
Fragments per group: 32768
Inodes per group: 16352
Inode blocks per group: 511
Last mount time: Tue May 27 22:12:20 2003
Last write time: Wed May 28 00:19:25 2003
Mount count: 14
Maximum mount count: 28
Last checked: Sat Feb 22 23:58:46 2003
Check interval: 15552000 (6 months)
Next check after: Fri Aug 22 00:58:46 2003
Reserved blocks uid: 0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid: 0 (group root)
First inode: 11
Inode size: 128
Journal UUID: <none>
Journal inode: 8
Journal device: 0x0000
First orphan inode: 132589
root@0[root]#

Any ideas/help would be gratefully appreciated :)

Malcolm