ext2/ext3 directory handling

I have just been thru rebuilding a server that had been suffering
severe performance problems.  I transferred the partitions to another

hard drive, copying into freshly formatted filesystems.  This made
a HUGE difference in performance.  One key directory structure
stores email messages in an structure where there is a directory
for each mail account, and the messages are stored in individual
files.	Some of these had grown to contain thousands of messages.
A couple of weeks ago we went thru a purge, and deleted message
files for inactive accounts, and were able to dump 75% of the
files.	Just doing that made a big performance improvement. Then
a couple of days ago things got bad again, so I did the rebuild.

My theory: these directories had obviously expanded to contain
thousands of file entries.  From the fact that just copying to
clean filesystems made such a difference, I assume that deleting
the files probably does nothing to remove the vacant entries and
shrink the directories themselves.

All this  raises a few questions. . .

(1) Is the assumption that directories don't compress when deleting
files correct?	How is this handled (in general terms)?

(2) Is there any difference between ext2 and ext3?

(3) Does the htree code change the picture any (even
though I don't use it, and won't until it is production) ?

(4) Is it possible that the directories themselves
were fragmented?

(5) After doing a "mkdir" to create a new directory, how many
file entries can it hold before it would be expanded to accept
another file?  When a directory is expanded, how many additional
file entries can be stored before needing another expansion?

(6) Say I have a directory containing some files, then I delete
some files, and finally I start adding files.  Will new file
entries use empty or vacated directory slots before expanding
the directory?

(7) I am aware of e2defrag (latest version I have found is 0.73).
Does this program (or any other any tool) perform any
directory optimization that would affect this problem?

(8) If e2defrag would be helpful, has it/is it being brought
forward to operate correctly with current (RH 8/9) systems?
I see some warnings about blocksise restrictions, etc.

(9) In designing new systems, are there some useful guidelines
about the maximum number of files that can exist in a single
directory without significant performance loss?
I am interested in ext2, ext3, and htree.

TIA,
A. Becker