Re: Maximum file size??

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:44:38AM -0600, Cavanagh, Kevin B wrote:

> I'm running Redhat Linux V8.0 using ext3 file system and I'm wondering what
> the maximum file size allowed is?  I've got some potentially humunguous
> logfiles I need to store that could likely be around 4-8GB per day and just
> want to make sure I don't run into problems.

The maximum file size is going to be limited by the maximum filesystem
size, which is currently 2TB.  That being said, you need to make sure
that your programs that will be accessing the file are compiled to use
the LFS API, since 32-bit Linux systems have a 2GB limitation using
the standard POSIX system calls --- this is caused by the fact that
the off_t data type is a signed 32-bit integer, and that limits you to
2GB.

Using the LFS API is pretty straightforward; it can be as simple as
adding -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE to the C compiler
options and recompiling.  There are some subtleties if there are any
shared libraries involved, since this changes off_t to off64_t, and
this can break the binary interfaces to some shared libraries; see
http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html more more details and some other
(slightly more complicated) ways of using the LFS API.

Note that many modern distributions compile all ior most of their
userspace with the LFS API enabled, so this may not be an issue,
except for your own, home-grown C applications.

						- Ted