Re: Duplicating Hard Drive Problem

Hello:

Thanks for your help, Ted.  Unfortunately, I ran into some more problems.

I wasn't able to follow your advice exactly; only one of the nodes in our
cluster has a CD-ROM drive, and I wasn't given a rescue CD by the company.

Instead, what I did was to first back up the affected drive to our RAID
array.  I did this manually with 'cp -dpR'

I then removed the affected drive and connected it to a different node as
a slave drive (/dev/hdb).  From there, I was able to alter the partition.
I ended up using parted, because I was hoping that it's 'resize' command
would keep the files on the drive intact.  I probably made a mistake while
doing so -- a little investigation showed that the files were inaccessible
after I changed the partition size.

Resigned to the lost of files and thankful to have a backup, I used mkfs
to reformat the partition.  I then restored the original files to the
partition, again using 'cp -dpR'

When I returned the drive to it's original node, the kernel seemed to boot
up well enough at first.  However, it eventually tries to 'Checking root
filesystem' and stops, complaining that it cannot locate a filesystem with
label = '/'.  It then gives me the option of running a shell in rescue
mode before rebooting.

I believe I have missed a detail in the way the filesystem has to be setup
for a partition mounted as /.  I would appreciate any insight into what is
causing this problem and how it might be mended.

Thank you for helping the novice,

Ryan Roth
Osgood Group / ISE
Columbia University
rothr@cumsl.msl.columbia.edu

PS:  Almost forgot:  I'm using Red Hat 7.3 with ext3 filesystems.