recovery notice on every reboot, errors writing to fs

excuse the newbie nature of the post, we recently inherited a linux server which
has ext3 on it and we have encountered problems before being afforded the
opportunity to properly educate ourselves...

We had a situation where the server froze and required a hard restart.  On
reboot we get the following notices which were captured in the dmesg log

EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 232k freed
Adding Swap: 979956k swap-space (priority -1)
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.17, 10 Jan 2002 on sd(8,1), internal journal
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.17, 10 Jan 2002 on sd(8,5), internal journal

and then it continues on to boot into the system.

Not all libraries function after this though, there are problems chmod'ing
files, we get numerous "Bus error" "Segmentation fault" etc...  some errors
indicating that libraries may not being linked correctly or something.  For
example, a simply "man fsck" produces  "Inconsistency detected by ld.so:
dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"'
failed!"

None of these errors existed before the forced restart.

Additionally, while the external journal file was easily found on the other
server, we have been unable to find one on this server (then again find may not
be reliable).

My experience with this type of problem usually results in dropping to single
user mode, running fsck, and getting back into business.  Would appreciate some
helpful guidance on some steps to rectify this problem, or even if it is related
to ext3 fs.

thanks

Dave