RE: 'df' command says partition is full, when it isn't (can't create files, etc)

Then are we saying this is possibly a problem in Linux in general, and has never been fixed.

The strange thing about it is that we had no applications running, and the space was
not freed-up/reclaimed until a system reboot was done (re-reading of the info from the drive).

We have used other journaled fs's and not seen this problem.  We are currently considering going to EXT3 for production level machines, and this is considered a critical problem because it incorrectly blocks us from new file creation.

My assumption right now is that the local copy of the disk information somehow was corrupted, and
the info on drive was fine.  Evidently the df command uses the local copy and the du gets the info
directly off disk.  Is that a correct assumption?

I'm trying to get a handle on what the problem may be, so that I can resolve it.  So any help that
you or others can offer in helping me to resolve would be a big plus.

Thanks,

Cassandra