'df' command says partition is full, when it isn't (can't create files, etc)

Title: 'df' command says partition is full, when it isn't (can't create files, etc)

I am working with ext3 w/ the 2.4.20 kernel.  I recently had a case
where my root partition indicated that is was 100% full.  I was unable
to create new files, etc on the system.  However, when
I issued the 'du' command, the system indicated that only 2G of the 5G
drive was in usage.

I did a dump of the FS and I see were there is an indication of no free
blocks.  I decided to reboot the system, and the root partition is now
indicating only 43% full, as expected.

I then again did a dump of the FS and see where the free inode count is
significantly different between the two (in addition to the first having no free
blocks).  I am now able to create files, etc on the system with no problem.  The
only thing done between the two instances was a system reboot.  Has anyone
seen this problem or have any speculation as to what may be going on here.

There were not reboots or crashes of the system prior to this occurrence, and
the dump indicates a clean fs in both cases

Thanks,

Cassandra