Re: data=writeback option on root partition - RH 8.0

My first guess would be that you have data=writeback in your /etc/fstab,
for root, but don't have rootflags=data=writeback on your kernel command
line.  eg: (from grub):

kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda2 ro rootflags=data=writeback

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 16:26, Bruce S. Garlock wrote:
> Well, I had the first use of the recovery mode on the RH 8.0 install CD
> today on a dev system.  I changed the mount option for the root
> partition to data=writeback to see what all the claimed speed increases
> are about, and the system failed to mount the partition r/w, so the
> resulting boot failed.
>
> After search usenet, it seems other RH folks have had this problem,
> possibly because it is built as a module, and not into the kernel.  Do I
> have to recompile the kernel to get the root partition to mount in
> writeback journal mode, or is there a way to keep ext3 as a module, and
> enable writeback mode?  Other partitions mount fine in writeback mode on
> this machine.
>
> TIA-
>
> Bruce

Chris PeBenito
<pebenito@ieee.org>
AIM: PeBenito78
ICQ#: 10434387

"Engineering does not require science. Science helps
a lot, but people built perfectly good brick walls
long before they knew why cement works."-Alan Cox