Re: making an ext3 fs on a whole device

On 14:41 14 Mar 2003, Isaac Claymore <clay@dawning.com.cn> wrote:
| Yesterday I added a new disk to my box (sdb), and tried to 'mke2fs -j
| /dev/sdb' without making a partition on it firstly. mke2fs uttered
| some warning message asking me to confirm, and went on happily.
|
| Everything works fine after that, but I'm just wondering whether
| there's any difference or not between making fs on the whole block
| device and on a partition of it?

Only that there's no partition table.
Linux scans for partition tables but should cope anyway if you don't have one
provided you don't try to use /dev/sdb1 etc.
I've got ext3 on a DVD-RAM with no partition table. It's all cool.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

An old bike is not a Thing, it is a Process.
	- David Ownby <ownbyd@utxvm.cc.utexas.edu>