disaster recovery

In a fit of irony, while preparing to burn a CDROM
with some software I've been writing for about six months,
I did a rm *>o instead of rm *.o on an ext3 filesystem.
And I'm well aware that under normal circumstance you
can't undelete, especially a ext3 filesystem. However,
I need to at least *try* to recover this. I've built
lde (linux disk editor) and if I can isolate a certain block,
I can at least get the data off, since I've unmounted the partition.
All my source files have a certain #include, so does anyone
have an efficient way to read an unused block from an ext3
partition, check if a certain string is present, and if so
return the block number? I've never deal with filesystem
code (Just a scientific programmer) so if anyone has
a skeleton set of code that I could use as a basis I would be
most happy.

--
Greg Hennessy
gsh@usno.navy.mil