Re: re problems with ext3 well if think it is

Simon May wrote:
> Hi I'm hoping you maybe able to help
> I have late last year converted all my machines to ext3 no problems
> now I have one machine crashing once every 4 / 5 days
> I have used a crash dump and see the following
>
> <0>Assertion  failure  in  do_get_write_access()  at transaction.c:589:
> "handle->h_buffer_credits > 0"
>
> Search on this seems to indicate the problem maybe with ext3 journaling
> system
>
> I'm considering upgrading to 2.4.20 I'm using 2.4.19 currently
> but my reading indicates that this will not solve the problem
> and may make it worst
>
> The only change I have made is to disable DMA for the disks

You need to give us more details about the rest of the messages that
appear with the above assertion failure.  That message itself tells
us that something is wrong with the internals of the ext3 code, but
othewise doesn't give us any clue as to what is going wrong, and where.

You need to provide the full oops report (decoded, with stack trace),
and if possible a report of what you were doing at the time this problem
appeared.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger