Re: e2fsck on ext3 is 10x slower than ext2

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 00:12, Tim Baverstock wrote:

> I'm using Debian. Is this a Redhat-only list, or is it only hosted by RedHat?

The latter -- all ext3 users are welcome here!

> I notice that the fsck takes a good ten times longer than under ext2, to
> perform the cleanly unmounted check. (On the occasion where I did unmount
> dirtily, the journals played back and things came up swiftly - huzzah.)

The only thing I can think of is that you may have started using non-DMA
access to the disk.  Did you rebuild your kernel when you went to ext3?
It's possible that the new kernel build is not driving the disks with
DMA.  "hdparm" will tell you if the disk is using DMA or not.

Cheers,
 Stephen