Re: ext3 is still locking up

> > I upgraded the kernel to 2.4.18-19.7.x, changed the memory, but still got problems.
>
> I'd start by running memtest86 on it.  Your oops:
>
> >  EIP is at copy_files [kernel] 0x169 (2.4.18-19.7.x)
> >  Call Trace: [<c011763e>] do_fork [kernel] 0x2ce (0xca5fdf6c))
> >  [<c0107515>] sys_fork [kernel] 0x15 (0xca5fdfac))
> >  [<c010893b>] system_call [kernel] 0x33 (0xca5fdfc0))
>
> isn't actually anything to do with ext3; rather, the "copy_files"
> function is an internal function which copies the the list of open files
> from a parent process to its child when a process forks.  Getting an
> oops there is usually a sign of memory corruption, and the
>
> > And now and then I see this messages (sometimes without any effects)
> > EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_free_blocks: Freeing block in system zone - block = 2
> >  fsck:  contains a file system with errors, check forced.
>
> errors are consistent with that.
>
> You said you've changed the memory, but it could be many other problems
> --- a CPU fault, the CPU overheating (check the fan!), cache problems, a
> chipset fault --- contributing to the memory corruption even if the RAM
> itself is fine; or the hardware might be perfect but the BIOS settings
> wrong.  memtest86 is definitely the next diagnostic for you to try in
> this case, as if that shows an error, you know it's definitely not a
> kernel problem and you can start narrowing down which part of the
> hardware is causing the trouble.

The memtest is now running more than 24h without any errors.
So I think I can presume mem is OK.

i.m.h.o. it now can only be a bad chipset regarding the IDE, the HD itself, or a software bug (sorry I don't want to offend someone).

I did some normal cp en rsync to see if I can reproduce the error, but nothing happened.
Are there some stress-test for the HD, or is there a website where I can more info on what all the errors mean.

Best Regards,
Pascal