Re: e2image: tools for sparse files & e2sfck support

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 10:38:22PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 18:33, Gregor Zattler wrote:
>
> > Is there any intention to develop e2fsck in this direction?
> > I thought of providing a backup of a file systems meta data
> > as a cheap and easy means to support repairing it when it got
> > corrupted!?
>
> Yes.  From the e2image man page:
>
>     In the future, e2fsck will be enhanced to be able to use the image
>     file to help recover a badly damaged filesystem.

The plan is to enhance e2fsck so that it could ask the user if it
should grab inode table blocks from the e2image file when trying to
restore a very badly corrupted filesystem.  If a directory gets
smashed, we could also use the directory information in the e2image
file to correctly restore files to their proper location in the
filesystem, instead of just putting them in the lost+found directory.

It's all a mere matter of programming, and finding time to do it.  :-)

One problem is that takes to do an e2image raw dump is non-trivial ---
almost as much time as doing a full fsck.  (It has to read all of the
filesystem metadata, which is a good percentage of the time necessary
for an fsck run.)  So realistically, people won't be happy putting
e2image as part of their reboot scripts.  The only way people will be
willing to use e2image regularly would be via making a read-only
snapshot of the ext2 filesystem using a volume management system such
as LVM or EVMS, and running e2image in the middle of night as part of
nightly or weekly maintenance.

						- Ted