Re: [Q] Do you trust fsck?

Thank you for detailed explanation about how the inode tables can become corrupted and how fsck works to handle this.

I was concerned that I was leaving behind corrupted data files despite fsck and was looking for an excuse start with a fresh filesystem restore from tape, which is still in progress.

must sort through the files to determine which files have valid data,
and which ones do not. This is one reason why e2fsck is so meticulous
about printing full pathnames during pass 1B/1C/1D processing.
(For this reason, if you know that there is a lot of filesystem
damage, it can be very useful to run e2fsck under script, so you have
a full transcript of e2fsck's output.)
It is good to know this is an option, but I don't think it beats a fresh filesystem and a restore from our verified tapes.

P.S.  Consider yourself fortunate that you have backups!  This is not
Backups are an automatic behavior like putting on seat belts, no? I maintain two current backups, one kept off-site.
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@aecom.yu.edu