Re: external journal

On Dec 22, 2002  01:41 +0100, Norman Schmidt wrote:
> Andreas Dilger schrieb:
> > On Dec 21, 2002  16:03 +0100, Norman Schmidt wrote:
> > >How big should each of the journals be?
> >
> > Depends on what you are doing.
>
> Mainly big files (pdfs of articles, diploma theses, images, films, music
> as well) of sizes from 1 to 800 MB and nightly full backups of other
> servers.

Since you are likely not using data journaling (if you had a mail spool
you might) then you do not really need much journal space.  The large
file sizes means that you will not really get much benefit from the
external journals at all, since the majority of the I/O is going to data
blocks.  The only real activity will be mtime updates and the occasional
file create.

As with anything, do a performance test with & without the external
journal.  If the external journal doesn't give you any benefit then
stick with the internal journal, as it is less admisitrative effort
and much better tested (more widely used).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger