RE: ext3 to ext2 conversion causes kernel panic

Hi,

On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 15:04, Wolfgang Auer wrote:

> * I changed the ext3 entry to ext2 in /mnt/foo/etc/fstab
> * Rebooted the system an tried to start-up the "ordinary" linux
> installation
> * Unfortunately the start-up sequence still reports a kernel panic.

There's your problem.

The /etc/fstab is not available to the kernel until AFTER the root
filesystem has been loaded (obviously!), so the boot process needs to
work out the root fs type from something else.

Red Hat Linux uses an initrd whenever any modules are required for the
boot process (eg. for ext3), and the initrc rc script remembers what
type of filesystem to mount rootfs as.

So if you change the root fs type, you _must_ rebuild the initrd.

Cheers,
 Stephen