Unable to get proper ext3 functionality in recompiled 2.4.18-18.7.xkernel

I am trying to find out where to go in regards to problem mentioned in subject line. Maybe you can offer some advice or, if not, then maybe redirect to another organization or web site.
I have been installing just about every new release of the kernel that has come out for RH 7.2. I have always recompiled these to a customized version for my Tyan s1598/K6-III system. I do this so that only ACPI is used for power management while APM is totally excluded. The BIOS on this motherboard has a bug that prevents the system from powering down unless I make these changes. But that's a separate issue. I also tweak my customized version to exclude or add certain core kernel or module functionality. I have always followed all the proper procedures for creating a new customized kernel and have never had any problems until now -- with kernel version 2.4.18-18.7.x.
All of the partitions on my system have been ext3 since first installing RH 7.2. When I create my version I think I have always compiled ext3 as a module. When recompiling 2.4.18-18.7.x I get kernel/module version mismatch errors from insmod at boot time and eventual kernel panic when trying to start init. Here are most of the kernel messages I get beginning at the first sign of trouble:

/lib/jbd.o: kernel-module version mismatch
/lib/jbd.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.18-18.7.x
while this kernel is version 2.4.18-18.7.xcustom
ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally!
/lib/ext3.o: kernel-module version mismatch
/lib/ext3.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.18-18.7.x
while this kernel is version 2.4.18-18.7.xcustom
ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally!
mounting /proc filesystem
Creating root device
mounting root filesystem
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k ext3, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k freeext3, errno = 2
mount: error 19 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 292k freed
kernel panic: No init found.

If I compile it with ext3 in the core kernel instead of as a module the file system mounts OK and their is no kernel panic - but I still get the error messages where insmod exits abnormally when trying to load jbd and ext3 modules. It seems like I had a problem similar to this on an earlier kernel version but it was caused by
forgetting to include initrd functionality in the core kernel. I have included it on all custom versions since then. Any direction you can point me in would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim Eitel
jeitel@cybertrails.com